Josephine’s Ultimate Guide to LOVING your Hair consists of common sense techniques to ensure your hair stays happy and healthy throughout the seasons. Follow the tips below to ensure your hair stays shiny and beautiful despite the cold or hot, dry air and other problems weather can bring!
- Condition, condition, condition! Dry heat and cold weather sap hair of moisture. Because dry hair breaks easily, the most important thing you can do during the cold months is to deep condition regularly and use a more intensive daily conditioner. Try Aveda’s Dry Remedy Conditioner or Aveda’s Dry Remedy Deep Conditioning Masque to help lock it the moisture!
- Avoid excessively hot water when you wash your hair. Hot water is drying to hair. Rinse in tepid or even cold water for smooth, shiny hair all year ’round!
- Avoid using heated appliances as much as possible. Using a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron dries hair out even more in winter. Let your hair air dry! Use Aveda’s Be Curly Style Prep, followed by a mixture of Confixor and Be Curly Lotion, for a beautiful beach wave.
- Trim often. If you are maintaining length, trim your hair about a half inch a month. If you are actively growing your hair, trim it a half inch every other month during the cold season. This will help prevent any breakage from moving up the hair shaft and causing you a boatload of trouble later! Remember, Josephine’s is here to serve you seven days a week!
- Don’t clarify too often. At this time of year it’s best to avoid products that build up in your hair rather than have to remove them. As wonderful as using a clarifying shampoo or rinse is at removing hair product buildup, most tend to remove the protective oils from the hair shaft—oils that are very much needed to protect hair during the harsh, cold months. It’s important that when you do clarify in winter to be sure to use a gentle clarifying shampoo, like Aveda’s Suncare Hair and Body Wash. Although, it is a suncare line, it works as a detoxifier, and will cleanse your hair and scalp of any unwanted product build up, while protecting the scalp as well.
- Cover up! If you are going to be outside, especially in extreme temperatures or wind, use a pretty silk scarf to protect your hair from the elements. Sun can also be as damaging in winter as it is in summer! If hats aren’t really your thing, try Aveda’s Suncare Hair Veil, it will help to protect your hair, and your hair color, from UV ray damage.
- Last, but not least, come in to Josephine’s, for our NEW Botanical Therapy Treatment, for dry hair! You will absolutely love the results! Come see for yourself!