Ah, the ravages of winter and the toll it takes on our hair! Josephine’s Ultimate Guide to Winter Hair Care provides easy, common sense techniques to ensure your hair stays happy and healthy throughout the winter season. Follow the tips below to ensure your hair stays shiny and beautiful despite the cold, dry air and other problems winter can bring!
1. Dry heat and cold weather sap hair of moisture. Because dry hair breaks easily, the most important thing you can do during the cold months is to deep condition regularly and use a more intensive daily conditioner. Try Aveda’s Dry Remedy Conditioner or Aveda’s Dry Remedy Deep Conditioning Masque to help lock it the moisture!
2. Avoid using heated appliances as much as possible. Using a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron dries hair out even more in winter. Let your hair air dry! Use Aveda’s Be Curly Style Prep, followed by a mixture of Confixor and Be Curly Lotion, for a beautiful winter wave.
3. Don’t clarify too often. At this time of year it’s best to avoid products that build up in your hair rather than have to remove them. It’s important that when you do clarify in winter to be sure to use a gentle clarifying shampoo, like Aveda’s Suncare Hair and Body Wash. Although, it is a suncare line, it works as a detoxifier, and will cleanse your hair and scalp of any unwanted product build up, while protecting the scalp as well.
4. Trim often. If you are maintaining length, trim your hair about a half inch a month. If you are actively growing your hair, trim it a half inch every other month during the cold season. This will help prevent any breakage from moving up the hair shaft and causing you a boatload of trouble later! Remember, Josephine’s is here to serve you seven days a week!
5. Avoid excessively hot water when you wash your hair. Hot water is drying to hair. Rinse in tepid or even cold water for smooth, shiny hair all year ’round!
6. Last, but not least, come in to Josephine’s, for our NEW Botanical Therapy Treatment, for dry hair! You will absolutely love the results! Come see for yourself!