So today I want to talk about Aveda’s Composition oils. Many of you have probably seen the little, colorful, hexagonal boxes and thought to yourselves: “What are they?” Well, they’re literally nature’s gift to us. There’s five different compositions: Beautifying (my favorite), All Sensitive, Active, Energizing, and Calming. I’m here to help break them down for you, so that you can find the one that best suits your needs.
· Beautifying Composition, which by the way should be called liquid gold, is the most versatile of the oils. It has an awesome aroma that is a blend of jojoba oil, vitamin E, lavender and bergamot oils that are safe for the face and body.
o You can use it in your bath for extra moisture. A little bit goes a long way, just a few drops helps moisturize your entire body during a bath. If you’re like me and don’t take a lot of baths, (this is not by choice mind you, I just don’t have the time), you could mix it in with your lotion and apply directly to your skin. This keeps your skin feeling amazing throughout the day. I personally like pouring a little bit of the oil into my Botanical Kinetics Hydrating Lotion, and shaking it well, that way it’s already premixed and ready to be used on a whim!
o It’s also great for makeup removal, even on waterproof eye makeup, it helps get everything completely off while hydrating your face at the same time.
o It even can be used as a hot oil treatment for your hair. You basically just warm up the oil (, don’t let it get too hot however, as nobody likes third degree burns), and apply it to you hair, starting at the ends, working your way up to the roots. Leave it on for as long as you can. One of our designer stylists Tiffany suggests gathering your hair into a shower cap in order to trap the heat. This is when I suggest that you sit down and watch that show you’ve recorded that you’ve been dying to watch. Or I guess you could also take care of that pesky task that we call laundry. Whatever helps you kill the time while you process. Once your hair has completely cooled, shampoo, condition and voila! Healthy shiny hair J
· All Sensitive Composition is a fragrance free mix of jojoba oil and soybean oils.
o It’s perfect for all of my fire natured friends out there, meaning anyone with sensitive and reactive skin. If you turn red easily, this one’s for you especially.
o You can use this oil for essentially the same things as Beautifying Composition.
· Active Composition is a medicated composition with a blend of jojoba, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, and rosemary oils.
o It also contains 24.9% of Methyl salicylate, also known as wintergreen oil. This is really good because this is the highest percentage of Methyl salicylate allowed for “over the counter” medications.
o Our composition helps the medication penetrate muscles deeper than other muscle pain relievers, such as Bengay or Icy Hot, which only affect surface pain and can leave a residue behind. Besides, it smells considerably better.
o Great for sore, strained and tense muscles.
o This is an athlete’s “go to” oil for rubbing into muscles after training.
o Great for arthritis pain relief as well.
o It’s also a natural disinfectant.
· Energizing Composition is an uplifting oil that helps reenergize you when you need it most. It’s a great oil to have in your desk drawer for those midday slumps. All you have to do is place a few drops in your hands, rub them together and inhale. Close your eyes. Breathe deeply and slowly. Enjoy the beautiful aroma of lavender and ylang ylang. Feeling a little alert now?
· Calming Composition is great for all you flower lovers out there. With rose and flower essences, it’s like walking through a flower garden when you inhale this stuff.
o It’s great for rubbing on your skin after waxing because it helps soothe it.
o Like most of our compositions, with the exception of Active, you can use this in your bath, body and scalp.